Over the years, there have been several great golf nicknames. Some personal favorites are:
1. “Champagne” Tony Lema. Lema, who was tragically killed in a plane accident at the height of his career was someone who loved life and lived it to the very fullest.
2. “The Squire”; Gene Sarazen. The first man to win all four majors was in every way, the very essence of a gentleman and golfer.
3. “The Wee Ice-Mon”. Ben Hogan and his steely demeanor personified determination and grit.
4. “Merry Mex”. Lee Trevino, who had pretty much something to say about…everything and is perhaps golf’s most talkative and funny character.
5. ‘The King”. Arnold Palmer. The name says it all.
What are your favorites?